About our partner:
As a member of our Operations team, the Platform Engineer will help in addressing operational needs of a mixed on-premise and cloud Linux environment.
In this role, the person is expected to have knowledge of DevOps tools, understanding of block, file and object storage technologies and have a strong background in Linux System Administration and Operations. They have excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting skills. The person should have a passion for automation and learning new skills and technologies.
Essential job functions included but are not limited to the following:
- Strong operational skills, with ability to work with end users to understand requirements and resolve trouble tickets.
- Drive consistent standardized solutions across the company for all hardware, software, configurations, and processes.
- Lead and implement large scale global projects as well as demonstrated experience in building strong business cases.
- Mentor junior members in the team on complex technological concepts while maintaining detailed documentation.
- Implement tools and processes for efficient and effective operational management of the environment -- change management, monitoring, alerting, etc
- Schedule and provide after-hours or weekend support when necessary, to perform high-risk or planned downtime of the company's data centre systems for upgrades and maintenance.
- Participate in permanently eliminating issues through automation and engagement with Platform Engineering teams on complex projects.
- Interact with internal teams to provide solutions and resolve problems in a timely and proactive manner.
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts to individuals of various technical ability
- Strong experience with DevOps tools and automation, including familiarity with CI/CD pipeline concepts, Docker, orchestration and configuration management (Ansible etc), git
- Experience with storage protocols and technologies such as S3, EFS, EBS, NFS, CIFS, iSCSI, Fibre Channel
- Able to handle pressure during outages and systematically resolving issues
- Experience being tasked outside their training, willing to take on and learn new technologies
- Experience in Python/Ansible scripting.
- Solid understanding of host, network and cloud security concepts
- Strong background in Linux administration. Understanding of core Linux concepts and technologies (LVM, systemd, memory/cpu/network/disk management and troubleshooting, Bash scripting, kernel tuning)
- Understanding of standard services and protocols (DNS, DHCP, Active Directory/LDAP, SSH, SNMP)
- Understanding of current monitoring concepts and tools ( Prometheus, New Relic, Datadog etc)
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- 5+ years of Linux System Administration or Operations
- 2+ years of experience in scripting or software development
- Familiarity with AWS or another cloud provider preferred